Unfaithful

Rihanna's Vocals

3 posts in this topic

I've been interested in vocals and singing for quite a while now, and I'm one of those people interested in singers' ranges and vocal abilities whatnot. For those who don't know what Rihanna's vocal range is, it is 3 octaves and 3 notes. I do my own research, but this http://www.criticofmusic.com/2012/11/vocal-profile-rihanna.html website is the best of the best when it comes to ranges, as it is made by a professional.

Her lowest note is a Bb2 (though I believe it is a G2 from her Love on the Brain, lol) and her highest belt is G5 and her highest note is E6. I won't go into details for Rihanna's vocals, but I want to clarify that she is in no way a contralto (else she'd sound super deeper, like Cher) and classifying her as a mezzo-soprano is underestimating her abilities. Many claim she's a mezzo, but she sustained multiple notes in the 6th octave (D#6 and E6) live. Not to mention her voice shines when it is at its lowest points, and her higher range actually sounds more supported than her middle (especially notable when singing in her head voice, which is sharp and amazing,) and her belts can reach up to G5 with up to F#5 without strainment, therefore placing her respectfully at a lyric or a light-lyric soprano type.

She showcased the ability to sing melisma and riffs and runs, so she has the agility that accompanies lyric sopranos. She's simply not as great in her middle range to be classified a soubrette, coloratura mezzo, lyric mezzo, or a dugazon,

If this post may seem like a rant, that's because it partially is, as many are underestimating Rihanna's vocals and doing improper researches; implying their knowledge based on a few strained notes without looking at the overall voice she possesses. Overall, Rihanna has a very great lower register (low notes) and impressive belts (think of belts as notes such as Oouuuuuuh in a loud voice) and has good agility that accompanies her voice.

You surely know a lot of stuff I don't, I can just say I like her voice too 😂😂

9 minutes ago, SalvaFlu said:

You surely know a lot of stuff I don't, I can just say I like her voice too 😂😂

😅 Well it's a hobby, I also took singing lessons so I know my stuff. I'm not a professional by any means but I do know fairly enough. Her singing voice is great. She might not be Whitney Houston but she is Rihanna, one of the best artists out there <3.